Registration - International applicants

Non-resident applications

International applicants, who qualified as a Clinical Physiologist, Physiology Technician or equivalent overseas, are welcome to apply for Registration with CPRB as a step towards seeking employment in New Zealand.

CPRB recommends:

  •  a minimum English language level of IELTS 6
  • current registration as a clinical physiologist, physiology technician, or equivalent with a recognized registration board or registration authority in your current country or residence.

Before you apply

You must first be accepted for membership of a recognized New Zealand professional society for your profession. You cannot register in New Zealand if you are not a member of a professional society. Proof of society membership will be required when you apply for registration.

These are:

  • Society of Cardiopulmonary technology (SCT) for Cardiac physiologists and technicians
  • New Zealand and Australia Society for Renal Dialysis Practice (NZASRDP) for Renal Dialysis Physiologists
  • Australian and New Zealand Society of Respiratory Science (ANZSRS) for Respiratory Physiologists
  • Clinical Exercise Physiology New Zealand (CEPNZ) for Exercise Physiologists
  • New Zealand Society for Neurophysiology Technologists (NZSNT) for Neurophysiology Technologists
  • Australia and NZ Sleep Science Association (ANZSSA) for Sleep Physiologists

( click here for links to societies  Links ) . Please note that not all professional societies in New Zealand accept international applications, so this may preclude registering in New Zealand. Please check with the society relevant to your field of practice, before applying for registration.

Documents for overseas registration

The following documents will need to be provided to CPRB. A checklist is on the application form.

  • Proof of NZ Society membership as above
  • A colour scan of your current passport
  • Curriculum Vitae / Resume
  • Certified copies of your Physiologist qualifications (stamped and certified by solicitor/notary/justice of the peace)
  • Certified copies of current registration certificate/s from the country in which you are residing

The following may be requested - if you already have them then include in your application:

  • Certificate of good character from 2 referees not related to you, one of which should be a registered medical professional
  • Certificate of Good Standing from your current registration board
  • Criminal background check

Registration with Conditions

If your qualifications are not currently recognized by CPRB or are not (or cannot be readily assessed as) equivalent to NZ qualifications and competencies, you may be granted Registration with Conditions of Practice. This is a common outcome of international applications to CPRB.

Where registration with Conditions of Practice is issued, the conditions of practice will be listed on your letter of acceptance to the Register, and identified on any Practicing Certificate issued by the CPRB. Examples of condition(s) that may be placed on Registration are:

  • Passing a practical competency assessment within 3 months of beginning employment in NZ;
  • Passing a practical competency exam within 6-12 months of beginning employment in NZ;
  • Completing a specified New Zealand professional development program; 

Addition of your name to the Public Register occurs once your application has been accepted by the board. Any practicing conditions are viewable on the public register. Click here to view the register: View the Register

Renewal of International (non-resident) Registration

Non-resident registration may be renewed annually upon proof of ongoing professional society membership. A renewal reminder will be automatically sent 1 month prior to expiry. Professional society membership evidence may be emailed to the registrar at . Failure to renew or provide this evidence within 90 days of expiry will result in removal of your name from the public register in New Zealand.

Annual Practicing Certificates

Annual Practicing Certificates (APC) are not issued to those residing outside of New Zealand. If you have received a definite offer of employment in New Zealand, and your prospective employer requests an APC, please contact the CPRB registrar. You will be requested to provide evidence of the offer, and provided with an interim APC.

To apply to register and access the application form, proceed to the 'Apply for Registration' page and select 'non-resident' category: Apply for Registration

Copyright Clinical Physiologists Registration Board Inc.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software